Thursday, April 19, 2012

Heaven

I'd like to be there right now.  I just want to hold my little moosh again, squeeze his little body, rub his little arms and fingers, and cuddle with him through the night.  He is so precious.

I've thought about heaven a lot this past year, even before we knew Matthew was on his way.  When I was little, I imagined heaven as a place where I would sit on a cloud, play the harp all day, and wear a halo.  Did you ever think that way? 

As I grew older, my vision of heaven changed, and I started to picture it as a place where everyone sang all day long in a giant outdoor room, with white robes, and I got nervous...What if I don't feel like singing all the time?  What if my legs get tired?  Ever think of heaven like that?  Do you ever think, "I don't even know if I want to go there...hell sounds like more of a good time than that."?

I don't know when I started to understand that I had a very confused idea of heaven - maybe through simply reading what the bible says about it, listening to messages, and eventually reading a couple books on it - but eventually I started to see that heaven was nothing like I had ever imagined it to be. 

Theology is not a strength of mine, nor will I ever claim to be, but I know that the bible doesn't teach what I used to believe.  Heaven is going to be an outrageously amazing place where we will have relationships and get to explore, and maybe even have jobs that we love to do.  There will be no suffering, sorrow or evil.  The bible teaches that there is absolutely no good apart from God, so everything good will be there.

Yesterday, I was imagining Matthew in heaven.  I thought he might be learning carpentry skills from Jesus (since Matthew's earthly daddy is REALLY good with woodworking, I figured he may have an interest in it).  He'll probably have a few things to teach his daddy when he gets there!

I'll leave you with a sweet verse and some precious pictures of our time with Matthew.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away"

 Revelation 21:4









2 comments:

  1. Love the story your writing out for all of us - the pictures are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love these pictures. I love Daddy's big hands and strong arms holding his little boy. I love Matthew's scrunched little nose. I know this side of heaven will always be missing a little bundle for you both, and your family reunion will be so sweet. So love each one of you!

    ReplyDelete