Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Selah

On December 17, while I was reading the Psalms, I kept seeing the word, Selah.  In my heart, I felt like God told me that was the name for our baby and so, from that day on, I was certain that our little babe was a girl.  I would go so far as to tell people that I would be 100% surprised if it was a boy. 

I didn't really even know what "selah" meant at the time, but I did a little googling (I was going to say research, but I don't think googling counts as research) and found that although no one knows for sure what the word means, scholars are fairly certain it could mean either "to praise" or "to pause and reflect".  It is somewhat of a command during the psalms.  It was a perfect name for our sweet baby. 

Obviously, I was entirely wrong about the gender of our baby!  I can say I was completely shocked when they put Matthew on my chest after he was born and I said, "So, is it a boy or a girl???" and they answered, "It's a boy!"  Ryan and I looked at each other and just laughed and shook our heads.  "No way," I thought...but I honestly can't imagine it any other way.  I love having a son. 

So as I have been reflecting on my certainly of having a girl, I've been wondering, "Why?"  Why did I feel so strongly about this name?  Well, I think its a perfect word to describe the past nine months - a time to pause and reflect and to praise God for all He is, and all He has done for us.

We are thankful, first of all, for our salvation in Jesus Christ.  That he died on the cross for our sins and has made a way to spend eternity with God.  Apart from him, we have no hope.  We are thankful that not only salvation comes through faith in Jesus, but hope, joy, and abundant blessings here on earth.  We are thankful that Jesus understands all of our sorrow and questions and can sympathize with us in our weakness.  We are thankful that there is still abundant joy in the midst of pain because we believe that God had a great purpose for Matthew's short life on earth.  God does not make mistakes.

Below are some pictures of Matthew's grandmas and grandpas holding him in the hours after he was born.  We are also thankful for our parents, who have loved us, supported us and shown us so much grace throughout our lives. 

Grandma and Grandpa A




Grandma and Grandpa E -grandpa wanted to be called "Papi" :)



1 comment:

  1. Maybe Selah is what God has called him all along :) I mean I know on this earth our bodies are limited by gender and abilities but out heavenly ones... Man, what beauty and splendor will they behold! Matthew is, I believe, a love letter to his family, of how deeply God loves you but also, maybe in a way, God reminding us all to praise [Selah] and reflect [Selah] on His might, majesty, beauty and peace. I see all four of those things represented boldly in Matthew's life in the womb and in his triumphant entry. With such strength he entered this world to show us all that God is victorious. That little peanut took on a job most of us would tremble at. So I think that maybe his name still is Selah, in some way. Maybe between your hearts and his... maybe between him and his comrads as they walk the streets of gold. Either way, your boy is a warrior and one who did his job so SO well. Praise God for loving us enough to sacrifice His beloved Son. And praise His Son for giving us the gift of the Spirit, that we might feel Him, know Him and be loved by Him. Your family is beautiful and I know I speak for many when I say I am so blessed to know you. And I am so blessed that you have allowed me to know Matthew through this journey. A little man I surly look forward to seeing when I go Home.

    Love you, Liz :)

    ReplyDelete